Sunday, January 1, 2012

Party / Evening Makeup How To’s

FACE:
Immediately after cleansing and toning, I apply Chantecaille Vital Essence (it’s a serum that promises to fade age spots, sun spots, acne scars. It is also an antioxidant that will protect and rebalance the complexion).
I then moisturize with Cellex-C Sea Silk Oil-Free Moisturizer. It’s a light blue lightly and naturally fragrant cream-gel that adds just enough moisturizer for my combination skin.
Let’s not forget the delicate eye areas. I switch depending on the seasons. Currently I am using Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Anti-Aging Eye Crème. It’s a creamy eye cream that works really well to prevent fine lines. I am in my late 20’s and it is very important to pay attention to those little crow feet that will soon develop. I am told the proper way to apply eye cream is to start at the inner of the area just below the brow bone, dabbing outward and work all the way down to the under eye areas finishing at the lower inner. It’s apparently the way to prevent stretching of the delicate skin around the eyes which cause lines and under eye bags.
Always apply sunscreen! I use Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream. It’s not oily and tacky like most sun screens that leave your skin sticky and ghost white.
Prep skin for long lasting results with Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse. I believe this comes in two shades (beige or pink). I bought mine in beige as I did not want to look flushed or drunk. I bought mine in Tokyo and it was at least $10 cheaper than in America and the SA’s in Japan are so generous with samples. J
For a flawless skin look, I use Chantecaille Future Skin Oil-Free Gel Foundation in Shea (winter) and Sand (summer). It’s a cream-gel foundation with medium to full coverage that comes in a screw top pot. It contains seaweed extracts which I have read add collagen and control oil production. I stock up on this whenever I go to Bergdorf Goodman as it is $72 USD compare to the steep $98 Cdn at Holt Renfrew.If I want to keep the dewy finish, I stop at step 6 but since this is the “evening look”, I dust on a finishing touch of either the Chantecaille Compact Makeup in Cashew or the Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder. It’s a translucent powder that fills in all the pores and makes your skin really silky and smooth. It’s also has a cooling effect on the skin.After mattifying your face with step 7, I want to add just the right amount of shine to my forehead and under my eyes (reflects light and looks good in photos). I use Shu Uemura Glow On Blush in P Gold 91 which is essentially a pearly white highlighter with tiny gold specks.
EYES:
I finish with a smile so I could apply blush to the apple of my cheeks with Mac Powder Blush in Dame.
When evening calls for a glamorous look, I focus on making my eyes amazing! Here's how I do it.
Prime with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Base. I got this as a Sephora 100-point sample and I loved it so much I redeemed the rest of my points so I have 3 of them which should last me a little while. It helps keep eye shadow in place for hours and it does not leave a greasy line in my crease.
Next I darken my eyebrow with Chanel Le Sourcil De Chanel Perfect Brows. It’s a compact that comes with three shades of brow powder in light brown, brown and black. There is also a mini tweezer, eyebrow shader brush and a brow comb in the kit which is handy if you need a quick fix on the go. I mix the brown and black shades together so I don’t have that sharpie eye brow look (which was last considered appropriate in the late 90’s).
Now it’s time for the main part – eye shadow! I first apply a neutral colour like Mac Eye Shadow in Shroom (not shown) across the lids to under the brow bone with a large eye shadow brush. I then use my finger for the second part. I dab Chanel Illusion D’Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in 83 Illusoire from the lash line to the fold of my eye lids. Follow with a slightly darker colour in the crease. I like grey-purple shades for my smokey look so I use Mac Eye Shadow in Magic Moor . I bought mine in a limited edition kit. It’s the second colour on the bottom row. In order to create a smooth transition between all the colours, you have to blend well with a good blending brush. I find that if you don’t use the proper brush for this step, you can create a strange gradient of colours on your eye lid.
To brighten your eyes and to make them appear larger, I use a tiny dab of Chanel Ombre Paupieres Eyeshadow in #90 only to the inner corner of my eyes where the upper lid meets the lower lid. You can also apply a shimmery light eyeshadow but I prefect this one because a) it’s a liquid shadow in a flattering gold colour that is perfect for this application and b) it comes with a sponge tip applicator so it makes the job much easier. It’s one less brush you have to buy.
I then highlight my brows by using a light neutral colour such as Too Faced Eye Shadow in Pearl Necklace or Yves Saint Laurent’s Rouche Eclat (not shown) just below my eyebrow and right above it. Again, blend it in really well so you marry all the colours in
I follow with eyeliner just to the outer corner of my lower lash line. I don’t look good in black, so I use Anna Sui Eye Liner Pencil in #R5 which is a metallic purple in a creamy texture so it also blends really well without looking harsh.
To complete the look, I apply false lashes to the upper lid. For a really stand out look, I go between the Make Up Forever Eyelashes in #110 Alexandra or #21 Floriane, Elite Eyelashes from Duane Reade in #2, or Bliss Eyelashes from the ABC Store in #48. I then apply mascara (Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara) and curl (Shu Uemura Curler) to marry the falsies and the real lashes together. I also apply a tad bit of mascara to the lower lashes to really enlarge the eyes.
Dust off any eye makeup from your cheek with a big fluffy round brush or kabuki brush.
LIPS:

To have to decide on whether you want to focus on your eyes or your lips to be the main feature, and since I have chosen to glamorize the eyes, I go light and simple on my lips.
I always always keep my lips well moisturized with Kiehl’s Lip Balm (I use the pot when I am at home and I keep a tube in my purse and in my drawer at work). If Kiehl’s is a little on the steep end ($13 Cdn), Carmex Lip Balm for $3 available at any local supermarket is also really good.
I don’t line my lips as I am lucky enough that my lips are not yet bleeding so I just apply lip gloss straight on top of the lip balm. I use NARS Larger Than Life Lip Gloss in Como. It’s a shimmery berry colour that adds shine and a slight colour to your lips without over empowering the eyes.
Now I know that was a lot of info to take in, but I hope you had fun reading it as I have writing about it.
PS. I DON’T normally put this many steps in my normal daily routine. For my day-to-day look, I moisturize, apply foundation and a light dusting of finishing powder, shade in my eyebrows, apply mascara or a simple false eyelashes such as Ardell Eyelashes in #108 and a touch of sheer lip colour such as Fresh Sugar Lip Gloss in Sugar Kiss or Fusion Beauty LipFusion Tinted Lip Balm SPF 15 in Berry.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I always visit and comment back. And if you would like to follow, I would love to keep in touch. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lane Crawford - US